Monday, November 20, 2017

Fall 2017 Co-Op Interns Update


What have you been up to? A Fall Intern Update!

Zac Crenshaw, Junior, Pre-Med
Scribe America, Scribe
   
This is a picture of me getting ready to take notes with a physician. My job at the hospital allows me to see firsthand interaction between physicians and patients. These experiences will help me moving forward as I have learned a lot of new medical terminology and have seen various procedures. 
          Since the last progress report, I have completely finished training. All my shifts since, I have been on my own as a scribe. I am very relieved the training process is finally over and can start to work on my own. I feel that the training process was very needed but I am very excited to become my own scribe. Just as I thought, being on your own takes more concentration since you are the only pair of ears listening to your doctor. However, with this comes some pros. I have had very personable experiences with the physicians I have worked with since. It now no longer seems as if I am just there following the doctor around, but I am part of their team trying to make sure patients get the best care they can get.
            The biggest downside of the job however is coming up, the holiday season. As talked about in a previous reflection, since it is an ER, the scribe position is still needed during the holidays. We all had to submit holiday availability, requiring us to be available for at least 2 holiday shifts. Luckily, I will be able to go home for the entire Thanksgiving break, the December schedule will come out in a couple of days. I would be very disappointed if I am not able to go home (St. Louis) for a decent amount of the break.
            This holiday scheduling experience has made me realize a couple of things. First of all, that I am growing up, and that my responsibilities are becoming bigger and bigger.  I believe this job will be a key to my resume when applying to medical school. That being said I have to accept that I need to make sacrifices for this job. This experience has also made it clear that when thinking about my future as a professional there are a lot that goes into that. I have to think about the time I will be able to spend with my family, the amount of travel my job could entail, and many other aspects of the job. What it comes down to is that I must learn that there will be give and takes to almost any career, I just have to figure out what matters the most to me.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Alex Graf, Junior, Accounting & Finance
Union Bank of Switzerland, Director of First Relations  
       My internship at Union Bank of Switzerland (UBS) has helped me develop many skills. I have been able to learn so much from some of the top Financial Advisors in the Kansas City area. They have really made me feel apart of their team.
       The past couple of weeks have been really busy at UBS Financial Services. We are trying to get stuff done before the holidays start. We are trying to do this because a lot of people become too busy to have meetings after Thanksgiving and up until the start of the year. We have been setting up a lot of meetings with people lately to try and get some new clients before the holidays.
            I have also started a new task for our team. We inquired about a Facebook ad with a company, but the company was going to charge us a ridiculous amount of money. So, it has been our responsibility to try and figure this out. We have been putting in extra work in the last two weeks to try and get these Facebook ads ready for the holiday season. We are trying to get them launched by Thanksgiving and have them run through the first week of January. They have never done anything like this before and are using this as a trial run. If this works out then we will continue with more ads, spending more money.
            Training the new intern has been going well too. There is a lot to learn. It also takes time to become comfortable on the phone with cold calling. It is hard to teach her the systems we have to use, especially the new contact management system called CRM. I have talked to the tech guy and one of the partners and instead of using it, we got approved to just have a shared folder than we can keep track of our clients and leads on. This is making it must easier on all of us, because it is quicker and takes less time to update. 



       

No comments:

Post a Comment